Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Open Letters

An Open Letter to the Alicante Bus System

The recipient.
Hello New Friend,
Why can’t we just get along?  I realize that I am new to the area and that everyone from Spain actually seems to understand you, but why do you make it so difficult for me?  Each day I wake up, shaking off my nightmares from the previous day’s indiscretions you committed against me, hoping to reach the point in our relationship where you stop seeing me as an outsider and welcome me as one of your own.  I take time each morning, carefully observing your routes, planning the moment where I will see your massive form loping around the bend and you will stop in front of me with that characteristic “hissss” and I will board you without feeling the sting of your rejection.  But every day, my careful preparation goes unnoticed as you find a way to thwart me yet again; your strategic diversions of my attention so hurtful to me like your bite on my hand.  As our time together is quickly dwindling, I fear I’ll never fully understand you before I leave Alicante, nor you, I.  So please take this letter as a peace offering, that you may recognize my deeply rooted good intentions and replace your obvious feelings of malcontent toward me with those of warmth and affection.  I cannot bear being your toy mouse any longer.
Sincerely,
Alicia (The American Girl)

An Open Letter to Borja’s Cat, Zipi

The recipient.
Hello New Friend,
Why can’t we just get along?  I realize that I am new to the area and that everyone from Spain actually seems to understand you, but why do you make it so difficult for me?  Each day I wake up, shaking off my nightmares from the previous day’s indiscretions you committed against me, hoping to reach the point in our relationship where you stop seeing me as an outsider and welcome me as one of your own.  I take time each morning, carefully observing your routes, planning the moment where I will see your massive form loping around the bend and you will stop in front of me with that characteristic “hissss” and I will pet you without feeling the sting of your rejection.  But every day, my careful preparation goes unnoticed as you find a way to thwart me yet again; your strategic diversions of my attention so hurtful to me like your bite on my hand.  As our time together is quickly dwindling, I fear I’ll never fully understand you before I leave Alicante, nor you, I.  So please take this letter as a peace offering, that you may recognize my deeply rooted good intentions and replace your obvious feelings of malcontent toward me with those of warmth and affection.  I cannot bear being your toy mouse any longer.
Sincerely,
Alicia (The American Girl)

2 comments:

  1. Open Letter to ?,
    I regret to inform you that I do not recognize outsiders. Hisssss... Perhaps if you spoke Spanish...
    Signed,
    The Alicante Bus System and Zipi

    ReplyDelete